What is LIHWAP?
The Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is funded by the Department of Health and Human Services through the Iowa Department of Human Rights/DCAA and has been established to assist qualifying low-income homeowners and renters in Iowa with past due water bills and/or reconnection fees. Assistance is based on several factors, including total household income, household size and currently experiencing a water crisis.
To apply for LIHWAP, please call 712-274-1610 Monday - Friday between 8:00am - 5:00pm. Applications cannot be taken online for this program.
Please provide the following for proof of household income for last 30 days:
- Past 30 days income
- Check stubs
- Current Child Support printout for 30 days or yearly (Child Support 712-255-2749)
- Current Title XIX cards
- Social Security statement or printout (Social Security 1-866-338-2859)
- Unemployment printout past 30 days (Iowa Workforce 712-233-9030)
- Veterans benefits (Veteran's Affairs 712-279-6606)
- Federal Income Tax Return for 2020
- Rent receipt or lease with landlord's name, address, and telephone number
- Current heat and electric vendor bills
- Social Security CARDS OF ALL household members
|Household Size||1 Month Gross Income||Annual Income|